Tips for Getting Married While on Vacation Abroad

Are you thinking about tying the knot in a different country? In the United States, marriages that are performed abroad are accepted by any state if they are legal in the foreign country. However, every country has its own set of rules, which might vary from one city to another.

Therefore, you need to consider the following before deciding to get married in a foreign country:

Who Will Set It Up?

You have three options: hold the wedding at a respected hotel, do everything for yourself, or hire a wedding planner who is based in the foreign country. If you choose the hotel option but you have never been to it, ask the owners to send you some brochures outlining their services as well as recommendations from their previous clients. Good hotels will have qualified personnel to help you plan your wedding.

The best hotels will also know local regulations, be able to bypass bureaucracy, and provide an on-site coordinator. However, if you decide to do everything alone, you need to start planning early.

If your girlfriends are joining, you can prepare their bridesmaid dresses fairly easily – you can check out a web page such as It will even be easy to coordinate, as you can arrange the everything online.

What will it Cost?

In many cases, the bride and groom travel alone to keep expenses down. However, you need to know that excluding airfare, an overseas wedding usually costs less than having one at home. Moreover, the more guests you bring, the more likely you are to get a good deal at the hotel you choose to stay in.

What Are Your Residency Requirements?

If you are wedding in France, you might need a longer residency than in other countries. Scotland and Switzerland have no such requirements when it comes to residency. If you are going to England, either you or your spouse needs to be in the country for at least fifteen days before the big day.

However, the recent change in rules means that you do not need to hold your wedding in the district that you fulfilled your residency. Before planning anything, you should ask the country’s consulate whether the days are actual or business days. In some countries, you might be required to make an announcement in the local paper to allow people to voice any objections.

Religious vs. Civil

In Portugal and Aruba, you need to have citizenship to hold a civil ceremony. In Greece, you need to fulfill an eight-day residency. This means that the best option would be to hold a civil wedding ceremony at home and plan the religious one abroad. However, additional restrictions may apply: for example, rabbis in Scotland do not preside over interfaith ceremonies, but you can bring your own rabbi.

What Documents will You Need?

Providing the essential paperwork is as challenging as picking your bridesmaids. Aside from getting whatever the country requires, you might be asked to provide additional documentation; for instance, in Mexican some cities, you need to have health certificates from doctors in the country. Keep in mind that some of these documents might need to be sent before the actual wedding day or translated.

This means that you should know as much as possible about the country in which you plan to tie the knot. Do your research before jetting off to this foreign land. A quick fact-finding assignment to your wedding destination will help you to know more.

While on vacation, your schedule might be a bit hectic, especially if you want to go sightseeing. For this reason, you might need to stay awake longer. If caffeine from your morning Joe doesn’t work, you can always reach for some other natural supplements such as nootropics. According to the owner of Corpina, nootropics will allow you to stay active and functional for longer.

Submit a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *